Muffin's Gift

Muffin's Gift
The Mayfield's

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Smile now Cry later


    It was the morning of my oldest daughter Maricela's preschool graduation ceremony June 12, 2010 everyone in the house was crushed by the news of the day before but they all put on the fake smiles and rushed to the park where the graduation was taking place. I myself didn't think I could stand to not cry for the 4 to 5 hours we would be at the park, but for my oldest daughter's sake I too put on a fake smile, LOTS of makeup and huge sunglasses that I would not dear remove for any reason. When we all arrived the graduation ceremony had just started I had to greet all of the other parents which I was very close to, we were all like a little family. They all admired my growing belly on the outside I excepted the compliments with a bright smile on my face but inside my head I had very different response for these compliments "Would you be so happy for me if you knew my baby had a birth defect."

    The ceremony was supposed to bring me joy but instead all I could feel was pain. It pained me to watch all the little kids one by one tell us what they wanted to be when they grew up. All I could think of was the baby in my womb, my baby girl who I now knew had Down syndrome would she one day do the same as them? Would my baby ever graduate? Would my baby have hopes and dreams like all these other kids?

Through the tears constantly rolling down my cheeks I watched my oldest child "graduate."
I was so proud of my daughter and so happy for her accomplishment but at the very same time I felt completely heart broken inside for my unborn child.






Mari and her buddy Brooklyn and behind Zoey
and if you look above you can see me with my bump















No comments:

Post a Comment